Monday, March 23, 2009

Gus

Meet our oldest child Gus! He is our 115 pound weimaraner dog who at one time in our lives was literally our baby. (before we could have kids) Now this faithful family member is continually put on the back burner. So I thought I would dedicate this post to Gus. We welcomed Gus into our family almost 9 years ago. He was this adorable puppy with huge paws. We had no idea we adopted the giant of his kind. Even though he chewed up things like the closet trim, shoes, video games and bedroom pillows he was our everything! Most memories of our first house are centered around Gus. I feel bad he was so quickly replaced, but now he's just another individual that demands attention. He really is the best dog and is so great with our kids. They literally climb all over him. Yes he is an inside dog, and not alot of people know we have him because we hide him in the closet when guests are over, his size is just a little much to have wandering around and because he is a dog he sniffs and demands to be seen. I love him because he eats everything the kids drop and because he is always excited when I get home no matter how many times earlier that day I got mad at him. He is a difficult house member when it comes to food being left out, he assumes it belongs to him. Some examples from the past are; brownies, raw chicken, 2 homemade loaves of bread, subway sandwiches, etc, etc.....He does have one food he goes crazy for and forgets all good behavior and that is Pizza. We have to put him in the back bedroom while we eat so we can even get through it in peace. He hates to have baths and sulks the entire time, I even do them in our big tub with warm water, what a baby! He is terrified of many things, spray bottles, measuring tapes, little puppies, wooden snowmen and my all time favorite flies! He looks big and threatening, but he has never bit or hurt someone intentionally. Even though my backyard looks like landmines are everywhere, the grass is dead in many places, my house may smell like a dog, food on the counter is always at risk I really do love him and he is the best dog for our family. I know Chris doesn't always feel that way, but I think deep down he would really miss him. He is always trying to talk Liv into getting rid of him and getting a goldfish....

8 comments:

Rachel said...

That is sweet, it reminds me of the movie Marley and Me. If you haven't seen it you need to. I'm not really a dog person, but I can see how you can fall in love with them.

Bon said...

Our friends have a Grey dog the same as yours. She is a handful but beautiful and definitely part of their family as well!

Nathan and Annie Miller said...

Poor Gus! I remember you guys with him before you had kids...those were the days for that big dog! He really is a good dog even though he is a small horse, and Aida still thinks we are going to get a dog like Gus! My kids love him.

Hilary G. said...

That was so sweet! Fred is always complaining that I don't blog about him and here you are blogging about your dog, I need to get on the ball:)

Lara Zierke said...

Aww. So sweet. I am a pet person and it really takes another pet person to understand how much of our hearts our pets own. It's true love!

Lara Zierke said...

Also, do you do pet photography? :)

Groff Family said...

Ha! Sounds just like our dog, Marley. She was put on the back burner with our kids too, and she still tries to nuzzle up next to me when I nurse the baby just to remind me that she was our baby first. I love dogs, and your Gus seems so sweet.

Sarah said...

What a great post! I admire people with pets so much. I seriously don't have the patience- but I think it is so good for kids! My kids will always be deprived. And Sydney has pet stuffed animals that she lovingly takes care of... naps on the stairs with blankies... feeds them with a baby bottle- calls them her pets. You are great parents to give your kids this experience! My sis was never a pet person (like me) but then she didn't have kids for a long time & ended up with a dog... which she fell in love with.... and that is why I will never have one (don't want to chance the falling in love part... it sounds like hard work!)