Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Field Museum of Natural History


Today we took an adventure into downtown Chicago and went to an incredible museum.  We had an awesome tour guide named Aunt Melanie that has been to this museum many, many times.  Our first  stop was a children's section that was so fun with lots of interactive things for the little ones.  We learned about animals, different instruments from other cultures, a dinosaur dig and lots about science.  


My sister Annie drove seven hours to get here by herself with two small children, she survived barely...but you can tell the toll it has taken on her!

We went through an incredible mummy section and these pictures are two unwrapped mummies, the one laying down is a child. The whole section was very interesting and I could have spent hours just reading about them. 
Then we went to the animal section. They look like they are still alive and are posed to be doing things that you normally wouldn't catch them doing. Can you believe the size of that bear and the elephants?  After the animals we shrunk and went underground and got to see what it is like to be a bug or earthworm. Livi was very afraid of the giant plastic bugs that moved.  So I don't have any pictures cause I was pushing a stroller and holding Liv. She said, "the bugs made her shiver, cause that's what you do when you get scared!"We had a great day and the kids were so good. I really want to bring Chris here, he would have loved it!



3 comments:

Jen said...

I am impressed you are blogging on your trip. I am very jealous as I love that museum. Museum entrance..$12, Gas for the car to the museum...$15, Picture of Annie...priceless.

mom2jjk said...

Isn't Mel the best!? Best mom, tour guide, homemaker, etc... It is never boring visiting her neighborhood! Love Livi's piggy tails.

Natalie said...

Looks like a blast. I love big cities for that reason, they have so much to do and the museums are really worth going to.
ps...your little girls dress is adorable and the tights are too cute as well.