Sunday, September 21, 2008

I survived!

So I was pretty nervous to go across the country with our two kids by myself and I am happy to report we did it!  The worst part was mentally processing everything we would need for 2 1/2 weeks, then somehow fitting it all in two suitcases. The next hurdle was getting through Airport security. You know the little trays they  provide for your stuff being scanned, well I had 6 of them and a stroller. I felt like a three ring circus breaking the stroller down keeping Isaac with me, bagging my liquids, keeping Isaac with me, removing 6 pairs of shoes and three jackets, finding the DVD player, keeping Isaac with me, pushing 6 trays and 1 stroller down a metal counter, keeping Isaac with me, ignoring the stares and the impatient people then putting everything back together once they decided we weren't a threat to national security. When it was time to board I aimed for the back hoping no one would want to sit by me, and I thought I was in the clear until a portly fellow decided to sit down next to me and talk my ear off even before we took off. Needless to say I decided he was a egotistical liar who was trying to get me to sell the next great diet pill but who ended up being really patient with my kids and a big help.  I got a laugh out of trying to take Liv to the bathroom and fit Isaac and I in there too. Isaac never went to sleep, but did pretty well. Livi was an angel and enjoyed the whole experience. I am so excited to be in Chicago with my sister and her family. Livi loves all her cousins and hasn't skipped  a beat, Isaac has been a little whiney, but doing great.  We miss Daddy and Gus, Isaac keeps walking around barking like a dog. 

10 comments:

JANEAL said...

Sounds like a long day! Glad you survived. I'll bet that was tricky getting everyone into the airplane bathroom....they sure don't make them very big. Have a great trip!

Sarah said...

Ok, I'll admit- I've been waiting to see if you'd update the world on your trip while you were gone. A one year old in an airport does sound HARD! When they're that age, I can't seem to even keep track of them in my living room! I hear ya on the airport bathrooms- Syd's first air experience included an exploded diaper on an 8-hour plane flight (she was 3 months old- and as new parents we didn't have the good sense to pack any extra clothing or other such clean-up essentials in our carry-on).YUCK! That was HARD in that bathroom- I can't imagine 2 kids and mommy in there- especially for us germaphobes. Have fun with your sisters!

Natalie said...

Travel days are such a pain! We took all the kids to Maine 2 summers ago and I was also pregnant....talk about CRAZY!!! I was so frazzled and tired by the time I got there. But, it's well worth it. Have fun( I'm assuming you're visiting a sister??)

Jodi said...

You definately are super women! For some reason the scene from Tommy Boy where he is changing in the bathroom keeps coming to mind. I am embarrassed to admit that is a movie that makes me laugh. I am just trying to imagine the three of you in the little potty. And if you are like me you are trying not to touch anything. Whew! What an ordeal!

Bon said...

Have a great trip! You are super mom!

Melissa said...

Why are you complaining about security when you get to see the greatest Finch girl out there? Why is Isaac barking like a dog? Why does Livi like her cousins? Huh? Why, Why, Why!!!! LOL
Give Mel and everyone a big hug for us!

Jen said...

Glad to know things went well. Can't wait till you're back so the kids can get together. Have a great time and tell Mel hi. Don't forget to get her a blog too.

amber buhrley said...

I hate to say it but now you know how it feels! Do you give me a little more credit as a mother for the MILLIONS of times I have done this alone with 2 kids...standby! All that plus not even knowing if you will get on the connecting flight and being stuck in an airport for 4 hours. I could totally relate to every frustration! Call me if you need a few more pointers for the plane ride home. We miss you in IF! Dang the luck!

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I've been a slacker at checking your blog, I just assumed you'd be a slacker like the rest of us when we are on vacation. I guess that just means I've made an a$$ out of myself! :) I love the museum pictures, but was surprised there wasn't a picture of the Dino (I forget her name) and the two Lions from the "Ghost in the Darkness." I don't know if you remember that movie, but it's the one where those lions attack and kill tons of people in Africa and they have the actual lions there in that museum. It always amazes me how small they really were. Sorry for the novel, but the first picture of Livy and Isaac cracks me up...He's just as big as she is!!! By the way, for some reason when I got home from St. George our house reaked like poop and pee. Any idea why???

Anonymous said...

P.S. Where's Melanie's blog? Isn't that the whole reason you're out there! Get to it already Agent Johnson!