Thursday, October 16, 2008

Am I Failing As A Mom?

So last week after getting back Livi had her first dentist appointment. I know, I know I should have had her in before now, but anyways....she was a little nervous, but everyone at the office was so nice that she couldn't help but smile and giggle. The assistant told Liv that she needed to clean her teeth and that it would tickle them and make them happy. So it was so cute Liv giggled the whole time she was getting her teeth clean. (Some people just know what to say to a kid.) The rest of the appointment she wasn't nervous at all. When the Dentist came in he checked them and told me she had 8 cavities! I about died! He told me she has healthy gums and no build up so what the heck? I asked him what I needed to do different and he told me that going off her oral health there really wasn't more I could be doing. (Kind of softened the blow...but still!) Anyways he suggested that we do all of them at once at the surgical center as soon as possible so it would be less traumatic. So we went from having her teeth tickled to rotting out of her head in one appointment. I must admit I brush her teeth faithfully every night, but not so much in the morning and I have never flossed them. She has all these gaps so I didn't think food was getting trapped...well apparently I am failing as a mother cause 8 cavities she hasn't even had her teeth for 3 years! So exactly one week later I take her at 6:00 in the morning to get the 8 holes in her little head fixed. Chris had a test that morning and he felt so bad he couldn't be with us. My mother-in-law watched Isaac for us. I tried to downplay it as much as possible (though inside I was so scared for her.) The staff was so good with her and made her feel really comfortable. Here she is in her cute little gown.
The worst part was when I had to say goodbye to her at the doors and all I could hear was her crying, "I want my mommy!" After reminding myself she was in good hands I went back and tried to keep myself occupied.
The procedure was under an hour, and when they wheeled her back in the first thing I saw was BROWNIE the cat (favorite stuffed friend for a long time) wearing a surgical cap. So cute, and then I saw my tiny, so sleepy little thing. She was so cute coming out of anesthesia. She said her I.V. was helping her breathe. All in all I survived another experience as a parent and the next day guess what I bought? FLOSSERS!

12 comments:

Jodi said...

That is so cute, but it almost makes me cry. She is so tiny to be having all that dental work done. Yikes! At least you brush her teeth faithfully. I practically have to put austin under anesthetic to bush his. Good thing his grandpa is a dentist.

Bon said...

Don't feel like you a bad mom you SO ARE NOT!! If it makes you feel better I still haven't taken my kids! I guess I figure I didn't go til' third grade and was fine. But maybe I should get my tushy in there!!:)

Krystal said...

she is soo cute! dont even feel like a bad mom. i haven't taken kai in yet..i am scared for him i think! i feel a little better about taking him now that i know that kids really can make it outta there alive:)

Zoe said...

I'm dreading taking Spencer next month. I think he'll be good but I'm worried that he'll have tons of cavities aswell. It's just so hard to get everything all the time. Maybe next month I'll have a blog just like this one.

Carlie said...

I have totally been there! Cam's first dentist, he had six cavities! It really does make a mom feel crappy when that happens! But we took the opposite route and had them done at three different times- amazingly, he did quite well! I don't think he's had one since though, so maybe they just have to get them out of their systems early- then they are good for a while!? Let's hope! She is such a doll!

mom2jjk said...

It looks like she wasn't bothered at all! I have heard that cavities are caused by bacteria that can be shared. If one parent has a lot of this bacteria and shares utensils with their kids, they can pass on the bacteria. Good luck with flossing. If you figure out how to do it please let me know!

Mosers said...

You are NOT failing...I took Kaylan in... 2 dentists and tried everything to get her to just get an x-ray...not happening... so I took her to Brigham City (my mom is a dental assistant) and on a Sunday Night my mom took her to the office sat her down and did x-ray's for her without anyone else there...then I went back to Brigham to have the work done in 2 seperate trips because I didn't want to have to pay for sedation dentistry (not great on our ins.) I am a bum when it comes to remembering to floss their teeth. and my daughter has a sweet tooth!

Nathan and Annie Miller said...

I'm so glad she did well! I still can't believe I didn't know about this until after the fact...sniff, sniff...

Rachel said...

If you remember a couple of months ago, I had the same issue with Mitchel, only he had 13 cavities. It made me feel so bad, but I have now started flossing his teeth everyday, and it is actually going quite well.

Floyd Family said...

Hey don't worry you are not a bad mom. I have the worlds worst teeth and I brush and floss all the time and still every time I go I have cavities so don't feel bad! On the upside she looks so cute in her little gown!

Groff Family said...

Awww, poor Livvie... on the bright side, she is one stylin' little girl. From her pre-op outfit to the little operation gown, she knows how to sport it!

I think a lot of the cavities thing is genetic. My hubby brushes, flosses, rinses with flouride mouthwash, etc., and inevitably he will have at least one cavity a year. However, I NEVER floss or use flouride and I haven't had a cavity since I was like seven or something. I do brush every day, but still, I think it has to be genetics.

The same thing happened to Cherie. Do you remember her posting this about Andre: http://scrapkorner.blogspot.com/2008/03/my-kiddos-gotta-love-them.html

Sarah said...

Oh, sweet little Livi- what a cute little trooper. Syd just came over when I was looking & said "I want to see Livi playing dress up when she was sick at the hospital." Man, I totally agree with the other comments- with these little kiddos it HAS to be in the genes! I don't know how else some of them could get so many cavities- since they barely have had their teeth for any time at all! You are a brave mom to help your kiddo through all that- so TOUGH to see your girly in a hospital gown! For your sake (and Livi's) I'm glad it's over!!