Sunday, March 29, 2009

FHE Going Green

My sister Maria inspired me to do my own starts for our garden and flowers. So we did it for family home evening 4 weeks ago. It has been a huge hit at our house. The kids love to watch the progress and so far they have looked not touched.
This was our start....
This is what we have now!This is Hermie the Caterpilllar, Isaac and Liv thought he would be happy here watching over our plants.

Future producer of yummy Zuchinni!It really is amazing those little seeds turn into plants then produce veggies!

I love petunias and usually spend way to much filling flower pots outside with them. I am hoping these cute little seedlings will produce all the petunias I will need.Even if all the plants don't make it, it has been total worth watching the miracle of mother nature through our kids eyes! Thanks Maria for the idea!

6 comments:

mom2jjk said...

Our plants are doing pretty good too! One pan hardly produced anything so I am not sure what happened. We are going to plant peas, lettuce, carrots, and radishes outside tomorrow. We got everything tilled and fertilized so now we are ready for some seeds! I hope it pays off. I know it is supposed to save $$ to plant a garden but it is not cheap to buy all the stuff for the garden!

Nathan and Annie Miller said...

It looks like they are all growing healthy and strong! I hope next year we can have some plants since we won't be moving.

Bon said...

That is a great idea. I have never thought to just do them in a pan. I always use the jiffy starts. But I bet that is way cheaper. I may have to try that! Thanks for the inspiration!! Can't wait to see your garden this year!

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! I have one problem I didn't think would be one, my plants are getting way too big! They need to be transplanted outside, but I can't do that for another 6 weeks! I hope they survive. Just wondering, did your zuchini go from a seed to a 3 inch plant in days? Mine did, by far the fastest one of them all. My petunias are a mass of teeny tiny plants, hope those make it too.

Sarah said...

That looks so fun! A bright thought with all this gloomy weather! I really want to do a garden this year... corn and pumpkins... but I agree with the 1st comment- it is expensive! I know that good comes from it... but when you can buy "in season" corn for 3/$1 it is hard to justify getting all that garden stuff!

amber buhrley said...

Awesome Miranda! You are so good at things like that. Maybe one day? Probably not!